Tail Wag Dog
- FedEx signs 10-year deal extension
- PGA Championship booted from August
- “Playoffs” will now finish by Labor Day and not go up against football
By the way, these “playoffs” are rather queer. Each week, the field gets weaker, and the event less interesting. What other sports’ playoffs can make that boast?
Oh, well, I’m sure they will have March Madness level television ratings now that they aren’t going up against football. Well, other than those preseason games. (It’s going to look great when golf’s “playoffs” attract fewer viewers than a Jacksonville vs Cincinnati exhibition game.)
It’s been a few years since I got here
Seen `em come and I’ve seen `em go
Crowds assemble, they hang out awhile
Then they melt away like an early snow
On to some bright future somewhere
Down the road to points unknown
Sending post cards when they get there
Wherever it is they think they’re goin’
If those lines don’t sum up the actions of the golf moneychangers the past twenty years, I don’t know what does.
The golf establishment — and by that I mean those who see dollar signs on every golf ball — continue to display a dogged directionlessness. They wish to change the essence of golf in an attempt to turn the PGA Tour into the NFL or some other major sport. They are not the stewards of golf; they are frustrated businessmen. Wannabe Donald Trumps.
- I saw where golf in the Olympics is now extended to 2020. Professional golf has no place in the Olympics. Everyone knows that. It detracts from true Olympic sports. Sports where the Olympics is the ultimate, the pinnacle. Golfers would trade ten gold medals for one green jacket. I don’t need to beat that dead horse.
- Consider the entire concept of the FedEx Cup “Playoffs.”
- Moving a major to accommodate FedEx and try to revive the Players.
- Overblown hyping of the Ryder Cup.
None of those things represent the essence of golf, but yet those are the things being inexorably pushed. Follow the money.
What’s the commonality here?
NBC. As I’ve said in the past: NBC is one of the most corrupt organizations in the entire world.