I turn on Fox Sports 1 to catch the closing action. Within five minutes, they mention Woods. Buh-bye. I mean, are these guys trying to be funny?
Great idea to make Rory play one round stretched out over two days of rain. Just brilliant. Be sure to shaft one the two guys chasing Nicklaus. Actually, they shafted both. Pure brilliance. Give DJ a ten-shot head-start over Rory. Brilliant.
Had My Fill
Okay, as if this tournament was not losing viewers right and left on its own merits, an announcer decides he needs to discuss how many birdies Tiger Woods made ten years ago or somesuch. Buh-bye. Someone wake me up if Jordan works his way into the top ten.
Hurry, football season. Only a couple more months.
Worst. Tournament. Ever.
Another rain delay. This side of the draw got royally screwed. Just as I pointed out upon seeing the pairings, this was NOT the week to put Rory and Jordan on the same side of the draw. Total idiocy. Ruined the tournament before half the field has even teed off. By the way, the PGATour scoreboard is running behind and we don’t have ShotLink. For some reason (money), the majors don’t use the normal PGA Tour leaderboard (the one place the PGA Tour does a decent job).
I’ll be pulling hard against everyone in the afternoon wave.
The Wonderful Golf Media:
So DJ is walking onto the course. We’re told he is walking “with swagger.” Huh? What is that even supposed to mean? DJ is soft-spoken, laid-back, and walks with nonchalance. He’s lost two majors that looked like his. So how does all that equate to cockiness and “swagger”? When did America get so damned stupid? He was walking with grace and equanimity, perhaps quiet confidence, not “swagger.” Truth is, he was simply walking. Leave swagger for the high school dropouts entering McDonald’s wearing a brand new pair of stolen Nikes.
A Little Later:
- Rory now +4. This is really shaping up to be a forgettable tournament. Fans might forget it before it ends. A ton of pressure on Jordan to save not just this tournament, but the entire season.
- After last year, and even the year before, we were probably due for a down year. But still, I can’t help but think the bullshit Olympics jammed on top of the already-disruptive bullshit “playoffs” doomed this season from the start. The players are more concerned with dodging the Zika virus than with winning majors. Thanks, Tim “Einstein” Finchem.
- I had Fox Sports 1 on earlier, but thought I was watching a replay. I changed channels. Now I realize I turned away from live coverage, demonstrating another problem with weather delays.
- One can’t help but think where Rory would be in his career if he hadn’t moved from Titleist to Nike clubs. He went from winning pro tournaments as a teen to a “top Tour pro.” He went from breaking 80-year-old U.S. Open records to “nearly on the level of Day and Spieth.” It wasn’t just the clubs, either, he (i.e., Nike) he needed to be marketed as “buff” and “an athlete.” I hope he turns it around, but Rory’s chances of catching Jack right now don’t look so good.
- You just can’t generate enthusiasm without continuity. Maybe things can return to normalcy now with the rain behind us. Expectations are that Sunday will have a normal schedule.
- Too bad Rory got off to a relatively poor start, as he’s had great success in the past on soggy tracks. Maybe he’ll turn it around. I heard Irish band U2’s “It’s a Beautiful Day” on the radio last night. Another sign.