And you thought last year’s coverage sucked…
I was trying to watch, despite all the weather problems. I really was. But once Paul Azinger (or Curtis Strange, who the hell knows or cares), totally out of the blue, launched into some set piece about Woods and how well he controlled his temper, I said screw it. Enjoy your 0.00001 rating, Fox. Great changes.
A Sign That Rory Will Win
So I’m doing prep work this morning for the U.S. Open by watching Ringo demonstrate how to play drums on a couple of Beatles songs. At the end of the video, Ringo sings a song, one with which I was not familiar. Suddenly these words jumped out at me:
With my friend Rory
It was good for him
Stumbling upon those lines this morning could mean only one thing: a Rory victory.
I just got a sign that Rory McIlroy will win. I’ll explain later.
6:12 am Update:
Morning Drive starts with discussion of Phil Mickelson. Because he’s such a huge story. Not Jason, Rory, or Jordan. Nope. It’s Phil Mickelson, Big Story. Bored, I change channels. I flip back a little later. Twelve minutes in, Woods is mentioned. Buh bye. Hurry, Fox Sports 1.
- Jordan and Rory going early-late, which means completing round two on Saturday morning. Not optimum.
- Rory and Jordan, early starters, will play the course hard and dry today until the rain starts, whereas late starters won’t see the course hard and dry all week. Not optimum. [Editor’s Note: It rained overnight. Lanny doesn’t know what he’s talking about.]
- Good groupings for Rory and Day. Spieth’s is not bad.
- I turned on Golf Channel yesterday to catch some coverage. It was near the end of the hour. I see Mickelson in a presser, and he is asked a tough question about his insider trading; he sloughed it off. Very skillfully, let it be said. The presser ends and within ten seconds, Brandel Chamblee is on-screen, saying something about… Tiger Woods. I look at the schedule and find, incredibly, Golf Channel for the next two hours will show Live From, but rather some standard, pre-recorded half-hour shows. I turn it off. NBC’s television networks are a total joke. Incompetent and corrupt.
- Morning Drive starting right now. I’ll give it a go. It’s U.S. Open Thursday. How long will I last?