Great day for golf. Rory won the Irish Open today. Yesterday Man Utd won the FA Cup. The Byron Nelson didn’t go my way, but it was a competitive event, and it’s always good to see Sergio get a win. Also, two of my personal favorites had great T-4 outings: Bud Cauley and Spencer Levin. The bad news on those T-4’s….. they were six-way T-4’s.
A good week for golf, though, and one that will help remove some of the Mickelson stench.
Between every player deciding to wear a blue shirt and GC’s ADD coverage, it’s rather hard to follow this event.
After Rory’s win of Ireland’s biggest event, can Jordan win Texas’s biggest event? He is on the first tee as I type. (The No. 1 tee box at Las Colinas looks like the Sahara Desert. After this year, only two more Byron Nelsons will be played at this TPC venue. I’m sad because I know thus course inside out, but also glad because the next course is almost assuredly going to be a vast improvement.)
Jordan loses it left. Not an auspicious start.
[Note: Here’s a great Euro live blog to follow the Irish Open.]
Folks, I realized something about myself today. I get more annoyance from incompetence than I do joy from competence. Perhaps the following will explain what I mean.
- Yesterday, Golf Channel announced on air that they would be live streaming the conclusion of the Irish Open. I went to their website and tried all the likely links. I kept getting a stream of the Byron Nelson, which was already on television. I thought to check their Twitter account and found a working link there. After wasting about ten minutes.
- The link came up. Great. I closed the stream while I changed PCs. I brought the stream back up, via the Twitter link. I get an equipment ad, then a message that the stream would be available shortly. Repeated attempts brought the same results. I tried again thirty minutes later and the stream was working again.
- I was up early this morning as Rory teed off. I feel asleep around hole No. 6. I slept for hours. I wake to find Rory on No. 9. So, I wonder, is this live, was there a weather delay, or is this a replay of the back nine? I go to a PC and pull up the leaderboard at the Euro Tour website. It’s not working.
- I do a google news search and eventually find an Irish website that has a fresh article about the tournament, explaining that there was indeed a weather delay.
- Okay, cool. I wasted some time, but now I know the coverage is live. Like I said, cool! After about fifteen minutes of watching, the AMERICAN announcers go into an extended discussion of Tiger Woods’s ball trajectory. When I hear Woods’s name during a golf telecast, I think, “Change channels. There is a cool political campaign going on right now. No need to listen to these Clingers who can’t get over Tiger Woods. Oh, and I should mention that shortly before that, GC ran a promo for the NCAA golf championships featuring famed inside trader and gambling addict Phil Mickelson.
So I left golf for Trump and Bernie and Hillary on cable news. Someone let me know if Rory wins, please. Or maybe the Euro Tour will have their leaderboard back up by then.
Irish Poetry: Some American idiot screams, “Get in the hole!” as soon as Rory hits his tee shot on the par-3 third hole. An Irishman responds matter-of-factly, “Get off the course.” (And ETP stressed the point by mocking the American for acting a fool in Ireland.)
Predawn: Rory starts the final round with a three-shot lead. Live coverage on Golf Channel.
Don’t blame ETP for the fact that we can’t see the hole on these putts on the No. 2 green. That’s on Golf Channel and their @#$%$@* needless scroll showing LPGA and Senior Tour scores no one cares about and which are easily available online.