BREAKING NEWS… ALERT… BREAKING NEWS… ALERT
Mr. Trump has canceled his appearance at CPAC tomorrow. This was a good move politically, but forget that. Consider the ramifications. He gives him a little more free time to show up at Doral! Frankly, though, a Saturday appearanced seems unlikely. Tomorrow he has three events scheduled: Morning in Wichita, Kansas; afternoon in Orlando, Florida; then a night event in West Palm Beach. That puts him mighty close to Doral Saturday night. I don’t see any rallies scheduled for Sunday, so perhaps that’s the most likely day. A Sunday appearance is my bet!
By the way, in last night’s debate, the subject of Doral and golf came up. Who was the first golfer Mr. Trump named? Rory McIlroy!
Unrelated topic for another day… Can anything be done to Doral now to bring the short hitters back into the mix?
5:25 pm Update: An heroic round by Rory puts him in one of the final two groups. (Rory putting left-hand low this week; he putted pretty well today, I thought.) Jordan hangs tough and is still in thne hunt. Rickie tied with Jordan, as is Anirban, who has two holes yet to play. This is shaping up to be quite a weekend.
1:10 pm Update: What’s the point of these asinine intros? Seriously. And they tend to layer about three “openings.” Today, we had a canned one of the old Jack Whittaker variety. Then Terry Gannon doing a voiceover while video of the local area plays. Then to the action, but I bet as soon as they get a chance, we’ll get a third opening, that one with Gannon and Nobilo doing an on-camera discussion. Maybe not. We’ll see. Ah, here it is!
12:55 pm Update: The Big Three all birdie their first hole. This could be special today.
12:40 pm Update: They’re off! Our blue, white, and gray heroes stride down the first fairway.
- Steve Elling/Golf Blot: We’re into March and Steve Elling’s Golf Blot is still inactive. As well, tweets are few and far between. I guess he’s moved on. With so many dull, clueless people working as golf reporters, you’d think a talented guy like Elling would be much in demand. Maybe he’ll pop up again soon.
- Rough Start for Jordan: Jordan’s +3 opening round puts him at T-48. Mr. Zunic will need a better showing today if he hopes to compete this week.
- Big Three Report: The other Jordan leads the way at -3 and T-8. Rory self-destructed on his final two holes with a three-putt par and a double. He fell to -1 and T-16. Jason Day opened with an even-par round and sits at T-28.
- Big Four Addendum: Rickie Fowler is -2, T-11.
- Euro Seven Report: Lahiri -1, T-11. Grace +1, T-37. Brandt Snedeker? +4 and T-56. By the way, I still can’t find out why Jaidee did not start.
- Coverage: The Big Three tee off 22 minutes before live coverage begins on the Golf Channel at 1:00 pm Eastern.